Friday, January 4, 2008

Silver Apples of the Moon--Irish Classical Music

A few months ago, while riding in my car, I heard a Suite for Strings, by Joan Trimble, on the local classical music radio station. The suite, based on traditional Irish melodies, was delightful. The announcer stated that it was on a CD entitled Silver Apples of the Moon. If you like the folk music-inspired compositions of Ralph Vaughn Williams and Gustav Holst, you will find this recording truly enjoyable.

On this CD, the Irish Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Fionnualla Hunt plays:
  1. Meath Pastoral, by Arthur Duff
  2. Mac Ananty's Reel, by John Larchet
  3. The Dirge of Ossian , by John Larchet
  4. O'Carolan Suite in Baroque Style, by Thomas C. Kelly
  5. Suite for Strings, by Joan Trimble
  6. Irish Suite for Strings, by Arthur Duff
  7. Elizabeth MacDermott Roe, by Aloys Fleischmann
  8. Three Pieces for Strings, by Thomas C. Kelly
I searched for the CD on Amazon.com. There is another CD with the same title, containing electronic music by Morton Subotnik, but I already own that one.

I found only 3 copies of the Irish Chamber Orchestra audio CD, released as Black Box Classics, BBM1003, ranging in price from (can you believe it?) $80.00 to $120.00. Apparently it is out of print. My pocket book cannot stand the $80.00+ price, so I did some more research on the recording.
I learned that the Irish Chamber Orchestra has its own web page.  Since I first wrote this post, they changed their URL: (http://www.irishchamberorchestra.com/).  However, when you click on the Order CD tab,Silver Apples of the Moon is not among the currently available CDs.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you VERY much for this information!!!! I heard this on the radio several hours ago and have been searching for a copy, also!!!!It should be made more widely available.

amylake said...

Poochie, Now in 2011 this CD is nowhere to be found again including where you got it. Is there any way I can persuade you to make and mail a copy to Minnesota? I'd be happy to pay what you did for it. If it makes any difference both of my parents are from Ohio (Cleveland and Columbus)! We drove there from Chicago a couple times a year when I was a kid. I just heard a bit of that CD on the radio and loved it. Thanks, Amy

Poochie Williamson said...

amylake: I don't know how I managed to accept your comment without reading it thoroughly. Now, 7 months later, I have found that the ICO changed the URL for their web page. They no longer offer cds of Silver Apples either. So, I have changed the last paragraph of the original post. If, by any chance you read this, I would be happy to send you a copy of the cd. I just need to know how to contact you. RMC

Easy Ideas for Accessibility said...

I JUST downloaded this from Amazon.

Poochie Williamson said...

I checked Amazon today, and found one copy of the old commercial CD listed for $79.00. The ICO album was available as an MP3 for the very reasonable MP3 price.


hit counter